Style Spotlight: Bubu Ogisi



 Hi guys, its time for another installment of our fashion spotlight feature and this time we interviewed one of Nigeria's youngest and most talented designers, Bubu Ogisi. We met Bubu two years ago at Arise Fashion Week Lagos, when she had just started her brand and where she was one of the stylist assigned to the Madam Wokie team. It has been truly amazing watching her brand grow so it was somewhat inevitable that she be featured on Madam Wokie , seeing that she just ha such an amazing and unique sense of style. We hope you enjoy her feature as much as we do...



My full name is Ogisi Oritsegbubemi, born in Lagos Nigeria. My mother is half-Scottish and my father is from Delta state. Bubu is short for my first name. Bubu Ogisi is a young entrepreneur with an eye for fashion.Bubu Ogisi is stylist/designer who takes life as it comes one day at a time. Fashion has always been a part of my life, I can confidently say it is an obsession of mine. As a young child I loved watching my mother get dressed wondering when I would be old enough to dress up and wear heels but what got me into fashion was the logic behind the construction, the fabric texture and the fit behind each outfit. But I truly decided to become a fashion designer when I was 19 when I realized that it would always be a part of me. I was inspired by the fact that fashion isn't  just an art it is a way of life-a lifestyle.


I grew up in Lagos and moved to Ghana in 2006 for my BSc in Computer Science and during my university years was when I decided that programming was way to boring for me to deal with so the two options was either to become a designer or DJ (LOL).




Before designing, styling was always a part of my everyday life, sort of like an equation, what to wear with what and whatnot to wear. I styled everyone from my mother to my friends and then I moved back to Nigeria for a year and had to sort out my priorities. I met my best friend Adebayo Oke-lawal on some random occasion and we decided we should consider starting and image consultancy for celebrities and what not, along with designing and the rest is history.





As a stylist and a designer I have had the privilege of working with so many talented people. For the Arise Fall/Winter Fashion week 2011, I was the assistant In-house stylist for Tiffany Amber, to name a few. Styled Mo’Cheddar “Franchise Celebrity” album, I have worked with Canoe Magazine (Ghana), Made Magazine, Fab Magazine, Elan (234next magazine), Meena, GREY, Ejiro Amos Tafiri, British stylist Ola Shobowale, stylists Terence Sambo and Bolaji Animashaun and my very close friend and co-founder of BUBAAI (my styling company) Adebayo Oke-Lawal(designer orange culture) to name a few.  







Personally my favorite designers are Yohji Yamamoto, Raf Simmons, Jil Sanders and Jeremy Scott. I love shopping at vintage stores and concept stores like Colette, love the vibe and the ambiance. I love wearing separates, I think that's the stylist part of Bubu Ogisi. My favorite are high waist 80s pants, my ever present Lita Jeffery Campbells and semi sheer shirts. I have sort a lot of inspiration from a lot of Old designers who have passed on like Elsa Schiaparelli, Mademoiselle Gres and artists such as Jean Cocteau and Salvatore Dali. So my next collection would be a fresh new start in the iamISIGO universe.



watch out for summer Bubu's Resort collection which we would be bring to you shortly, trust me you would be blown away
xoxo Madam Wokie

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts