Mercy Ships

I finally got a chance to visit Mercy Ships last week, thanks to the Donor Liason Officer at the Ministry of Health. I've been meaning to go for a while now but something always comes up. I managed to secure a tour with theship's purser Tom who was kind enough to take some time out of his busy schedule. For those of you who haven't heard about Mercy Ships, they are an international medical charity that operates as the largest non-governmental hospital ship in the world, providing free health care services (mainly surgical care). They have been docked in Freetown since February and they have done some great work here. The ship itself is impressive. It used to be an old rail ferry in Scandanavia. The ship was converted to a hospital and they have every imaginable piece of modern equipment you can think of, not to mention a fully equipped Stabucks. My Mercy Ships experience was incredible and unlike anything I have ever seen. They will be leaving Freetown in November and I am sure that they will be sorely missed in Sierra Leone. Check out the pictures. xoxo, Zu.








 more pictures after the jump.




















Comments

  1. I'm currently working on my application to work with mercy ships. My friend just came back from it and she said it was the best experience of her life time. If this trip is recent then she was on this ship :) that you visited as an occupational therapist. There is nothing more rewarding than putting your skills to use for those who genuinely need it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts